Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Who is your favorite living Artist?

Who is your favorite living Artist? This is a question I recently presented in my classes to my students. Immediately they started shouting the names of entertainers. Actors, singers, dancers, and musicians. Then I made the question more focused. Who is your favorite visual Artist as in one who paints, draws, designs, sculpts, sews, or the like? Each time the class went silent. So I let them know that the final report would be on each student's favorite artist. Meaning they will have to write a paper on that topic and present it to the class. This will be exciting.

I often ask this of my social peers and get the same reaction. Followed by their debating that entertainment is art therefore these people are artistic enough to be the answer to the question. Some times it is really passionate. My point is to open up the prospect of folks having favored living artists. Some people actually do. But when was the last time you heard someone refer to an artist as being their favorite? Hmmmmm. Who is your favorite living Artist?

1 Comments:

Blogger becky said...

It is sometimes Matisse, sometimes Van Gogh. More recently my friend, Seyed Alavi also Andy Goldsworthy. Sorry I can't narrow it down to just one. Each one appeals for a different reason. Matisse for his form and color, Van Gogh for his passionate mark making, Seyed for his attunement to community and uplifting spirit, Goldsworthy for the beauty he creates from the natural world complete sans tools and anything from outside the environment that he creates. I am sure there are more for other reasons, but these are the first to come to mind and first thought, best thought.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home